Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Christmas EVE

On Christmas Eve our nice Russian Neighbors, the Mahkanov's, invited us over to their house to see Russian Santa. It was really fun! I told Chad later that I'm a little jealous that we don't have a very exciting cultural background... anyway... Russian Santa wears a blue suit, carries a walking stick and only speaks Russian. Before he gives any presents he makes the kids perform a song or recite a poem. We helped our kids by all of us singing "Mele Kalikimaka". Lia Belle did come up with the courage to sit on his lap at first. She was so brave. But then He had another gift for her and he pulled her up on his lap and she lost it. She only had enough courage for one visit. After Santa doled out the gifts we all sang Silent night as one of the Mahkanov's played it on the guitar. They all sang it in Russian, we in English. I love that Silent Night is a universal song. No matter the language, I always get choked up when I sing it. I used to know all the words in spanish too. It was such a nice evening. They invited us to stay for dinner, but we had already eaten and it was already 8:00 and we needed to get the kiddies in bed. I hope they weren't offended that we didn't stay.


1 comment:

Corless Family said...

how fun!! my mom would be soooo jealous. Her family is from russia and would have loved that! so cute!