Thursday, June 12, 2008

A MIRACLE!


It is so funny that something we take for granted as adults, something that comes so naturally and easily is actually a skill that we had to learn. In most cases it was a skill that was hard to learn and that our parents suffered greatly to teach us, and yet you probably don't even remember going through the learning process. You guessed it, I'm talking about Potty training! I've been talking about this topic a lot lately, it's a hot topic when you have a child between the ages of 2 and 3. The miracle that ocurred in our house is that Lia Belle is now potty trained! Yeah! How did I do it? some of you might ask. Well the answer to that is I didn't do it all. Lia Belle's potty training saga started back in February. She spent a week with my sister while chad and I took a vacation. My sister tried to help me out by potty training Lia Belle while I was gone. (I know, NICE SISTER) Poor Alaina had not yet come in close conflict with the will power of a two year old. Alaina is sweet and patient and kind. But none of these qualities could convince a toddler who is perfectly content in her diapers to give them up. Alaina cleaned up many a puddle in that week. Through it all she was persistent and Jacob and Lia Belle ate a lot of candy as bribery. After our return, to Alaina's dismay, I dropped the training and put her back in diapers. I was just too tired in my 9th month of pregnancy and too awkward to be bending over and squatting beside her in the little potty chair. So we let the subject rest. Then on Mother's day, during church, Lia Belle decided she needed to go poo-poo but for some strange reason she didn't want to go in her diaper. She started climbing on me and crying as she tried to hold it in. Which she did. So that day I gave her underwear and we tried again for a few days, when she acted like she was losing interest, so I put her back in Pull ups. Then during our trip to Chicago she told my mom "I learned how to go potty, I just don't want to." That there Illustrates perfectly a two year old attitude. Then about three day's ago, I showed her that I only had four pull ups left and then she would have to wear underwear and strange thing happened, she told me she would wear underwear! It took two days and then she figured out the peeing. Two days after that she figured out pooping! HALLELUJAH! Now she is potty trained. She is soo proud of herself and I am so proud and happy for her. It is amazing to see how her confidence has soared! Her smile is brighter! And I have less diapers/messy pants to clean up! She will probably grow up and forget how she had to struggle to learn this skill. Something just clicked in her brain and she knew how and wanted to at the same time.

5 comments:

Ronda said...

annie- I read your blog under gun point and I am very glad I did. The children look beautiful and that picture of lia on the potty looks exactly like the one we have of you screaming and crying on the potty. Now that you have been through this with Lia maybe you can will stop thinking mom was a criminal to take a picture of you on the potty chair. Probably your experience and mom's with you are very similar. Kind of funny how time has a way of equalizing everyone. I plan to become an avid reader of your blog, so keep up the great postings. Love,R

The Egg Basket said...

Go Lia Belle!

Mandy said...

Good for you. Potty training is a great birth control at our house, the les you have the less you have to train.

Unknown said...

I didn't know she said that to Mom. Lia's so funny. You know what, Eli's little cousins from Vegas are in town and they have a three year old girl who totally reminds me of Lia. She has cute blonde hair and bright blue eyes and that big smile too. It makes me miss her a lot!

all about the girls said...

Gotta love the potty training! There is no way to convince a two year old to do something that is not her idea! Way to go!