



So I had a great idea a few weeks ago, given to me by my friend Kim. She suggested we pool our stuff and have a garage sale. Of course, we managed to pick the hottest week of the summer for our sale. I spent a lot of time last week cleaning out the garage and rummaging through the house. Alaina was here and she helped me in the garage and with the kids. (Thanks Alaina!) OY! It was hot when I was out hanging up the posters. Unfortunately, I guess we didn't advertise enough because we didn't have very many customers. Lesson #1 about garage sale-ing, ADVERTISE. Our first customer came and left with about four books that I just gave to them because they left their change in the car. All in all I think i made about $40.00. Lesson #2, don't overprice your stuff. I think I did over estimate how much my junk was worth. The kids did sell one bottle of water, and gave away two bags of cookies and ate two bags a piece. Poor Kim, she brought all her stuff over to my house and made $1.00. yep, 1 buck. Then she had to haul all her stuff back home or to the D.I. I hauled a bunch of stuff to the D.I. and I still have junk in my garage That I will try to sell on craig's list.
So, we learned a lot. Mostly we learned that it is better to just donate stuff to the D.I or Goodwill.
7 comments:
If I had room in our apartment and if you didn't overprice your stuff, I would have bought the lovesack and your table. And if I had a way to get to washington to buy it and bring it back to Utah. If only. I love those pictures from Jacobs birthday party. I can't believe he's five. That's so weird. Love ya!
Garage sales are junk, I hate doing them!! It's a week of work and then afterwards there's always odds and ends laying around. Me and my mom did one this summer and before we even opened, an old lady in a motorized wheelchair was practically banging on the garage door to get in. Those old garage sale biddies scare me!
We didn't have any crazy old ladies come, partly because we made the mistake of not opening early enough. I'm not an early riser so we started it at 9am.
You are hilarious!
Hey I didn't even make a buck! by the time you add up what I spent on poster board and price stickers I am in the negative:) Just one of the many reasons I will NEVER be a business owner:) Though it was a bust I had fun hanging with you and Alaina and chatting away. Oh and I had fun seeing Chad get frustrated with his junk getting taken from him... and you can tell him that:) After we left Justin and I said we need to get together with them more often, we will need to have you over since you no longer have a kitchen table haha. Oh and by the way did you get the email I forwarded to you with someone interested in the lovesac?
I'm so sorry kim, that you are in the red. I had fun hanging out with you guys too. Hopefully we will have a table soon so we can have you over and not make you sit at the little kids table.
I did get the email and sent one to them, thanks for the info.
And the final outcome of the Lovesac saga????
Post a Comment