Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am grateful for teachers




Tonight for Enrichment night we had a special dinner to honor and give thanks to the teachers and educators in our community. People from church invited teachers, pta workers, school volunteers and principals to come for a special dinner so we could tell them thank you. It got me thinking about all the teacher's I've had in my life and how much they have influenced me. WARNING : this might be a boring post if you didn't attend Kearney Schools.


My first teacher was Mrs. Hiel. Who doesn't love Mrs. Hiel? I think she is still teaching. She made kindergarten fun. I can still remember the sand table in the coat closet. I can remember sitting on the floor at her feet for reading time. I remember being happy in Kindergarten and wanting to learn and do well to make her proud of me.
One of my favorite elementary teachers was Mrs. Wepler, but before she was married she was Miss Doolittle. She was my PE teacher and the librarian. I distinctly remember her teaching us how to bowl in Holt elementary's gym. (Every time I get a strike, I say I owe it all to her.) I also remember her reading books to us in the library, Shel Silverstein's Where the Side Walk Ends was a favorite. She let us take turns reading to the group and I can remember wanting to impress her with my reading skills. Mrs. Wepler was always in the library the rest of my school years. I was so sad to hear that she passed away.


Jr. High brought some new teachers that were inspiring. Mrs. Webster helped foster my love of reading. and Mrs. Van Lewen ! How cool was she? I remember that year in social studies we got to make up our own video reporting on historical events that are talked about in that song "We didn't start the fire". Every day in her class the excitement was palpable. She allowed us to talk, to create, to share ideas. We all respected her and she brought out the best in us.

Of course, Mr. Riordan was a favorite teacher by everyone! He had a special talent for making EVERY Single kid feel important. Some how, in his class, there were no labels. I sucked at art, but Mr. Riordan made JR. High bearable for everyone. Mr. Riordan was also my Cross-Country coach and my track coach. He made everything fun! And new how to push you to do your best. He let me and Trisha Marshall drive his truck out in the cross country field, teaching us how to drive a clutch. Once he challenged Trisha, Paul, and I to t.p. his house with out getting caught, because he knew his dog would bark us out. So we called his wife, told her what we were going to do and asked her if she could put the dog in the basement. So she did. So we t.p.'d his house then rang the doorbell and said "HA! We did it!" then he took us out for ice-cream!

another Coach, teacher and friend, was Mr. Roberts. He taught typing class. I don't know if there even are typing classes anymore? He was the head CC coach and the long distance track coach. Now there's a man that loved kids! What a fun teacher. He had a way of finding the good, talented part of everyone and helping them to see it too. Here's a teacher, who had a student that was kicked out of her house, no where to go, no family to turn to, so he adopted her. He took her in, and made her part of his family. There's a teacher who cares about kids.

Mr. Niles, taught biology. I loved his class! It was alway's interesting and he knew how to teach! Somehow, his teaching style and my learning style really clicked. He was clear and concise in his teaching and really knew how to explain things and make them understood.

Mr. Bufton! World Lit. Boy did I feel special that I was in his College Level Class, reading Norton's Anthology of World Literature! He was kind of intimidating, but he encouraged discussion, debate, sharing of ideas. From his class is where I started to find the confidence to voice my own opinion, although that is still something I really struggle with. He was also the student council sponsor. I spent a lot of time with Mr. Bufton in class and meetings. I always wanted to do my best in his class and on student council because I didn't want him to think I was a slacker.

Another important teacher in my life was Sister Barbara Barker, My Seminary teacher. For Four years I showed up at her basement door with about 15 other kids at the butt-crack of dawn. 6:00 am! I believe she taught for 6 or 7 years. She was there with a lesson prepared, her home prepared. she put up with surly, tired teenagers and tried to help them feel the spirit and teach them the gospel. Not an easy task when most of your class is asleep. I know she would get frustrated when we were late, or when we fell asleep. She rarely missed a day. The day's she did miss, we would get Brother Barker for a teacher, and no offense, but he wasn't as interesting. One time I remember Jessica Barker subbing and she ended up yelling at her brothers and sister in the class because they were totally egging her on and causing problems. It was pretty funny. I love Sister Barker and I am grateful for her sacrifice in my behalf.

I am so grateful for these teachers and others in my life. I don't remember most of the facts of their subjects they taught. But I learned from their character and personality. Where would we be with out caring teachers who give of themselves to help others grow and progress? I can only pray that my children will be blessed with such wonderful teachers.
So, fellow Kearney alumni? What teacher are you grateful for?

9 comments:

Ronda said...

Annie- I didn't realize that you would have mr. bufton in the same capacity that I had him. Of course you would have,you were right behind me, but it is ironic now because the whole time you had him he was dating Sarah. I loved him to. I still have my norton anthology and I can't bear to get rid of it, even though I have pitched almost every other book. Mrs. Wepler is also one of my all ti me favorites.
That little library at holt elememntary was one of my very favorite places on earth. Can you believe Chris closed holt this year? I mean the nerve of that man. Just joking Chris, I know it was a good choice. A teacher that you left out for me was Mrs. Mayo or Jones, depending on when you had her. I had her twice. Once under each name. She gave us the room to feel really important. makimg the bulletin boards doing her errands. It is neat to me that she made the baby blanket for Eden that ended up being her blankie. Cherie was in her class when Eden was born and she sent it home with Cherie. I think that is neat. It is funny that you are having your teacher appreciation moment because mine is tomorrow. Way to go on the gratitude this mo nth. I have loved reading them all. R

Alainarae said...

Ya... I only have a few favorites, since my school days in HS didn't go as picture perfect as yours... But I loved Mrs. Hiel, Mrs. Mayo/Jones, I had her twice in my life, too. I also had MR. ROberts but they changed typing to Keyboarding.. so that was cool..But I think compared to a lot of large schools, Kearney has definately a small, hometown feel you don't find most other places.. And since we all had all the same teachers our whole lives, almost, it made it seem more quaint... but even if I could live in kearney now and send my kids to school, I probably wouldn't because even by the time Cherie and I went through, it wasn't neccessarily the teachers(although some of them in my life were total crap) but it was probably just society declining, and I wouldn't want Milo to be around those kinds of kids. I guess there are good and bad kids everywhere. But I want him to live in a bubble!

Alainarae said...

ps. I love how ronda only signs her name with the letter R! Its just like on the show Gossip Girl... but I won't admit to watching that. They just always call eachother by the first letter of their first name! lol

love,
A

Anonymous said...

I had all of those teachers too, Annie, minus Mr. Bufton. I had Mr. Roberts for Keyboarding and Personal Finance. One of my other favorite teachers was Mr. Farrell, my junior Honors English teacher. He made us read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (800+ pages)and even though he was a crazy old hippie, he got me used to people having very strong opinions and sometimes crazy interpretations of literature. I also loved Mrs. Whitman, I had her for kindergarten and first grade. Mrs. Vanleuvan was the principle of Holt Elementary when I was there. I loved her. She would call each student down on their birthday, put on a bunch of lipstick and give them a kiss on the cheek that they had to keep on all day. But then after some parents complained about hygiene she switched to lip stamps on your hand. I didn't know Holt closed down. That makes me sad. I loved that little school. Good post Annie!
Cherie

Alaina does watch gossip girl!

Unknown said...

That last one was me, not the BYU 29th ward, the problem with using the computers at work is that someone else may have used it before without logging out and I don't realize it.

Cindy Feuz said...

I was the lucky one who had Mrs. Heil twice, she is #1 on my list. In kindergarten I came to her class the night after I watched how the Grinch Stole Christmas and I told her Cindy Lou Who was in it. From then on she always called me Cindy Lou and I had her in 4th grade and she still called me that. Also loved Mrs. Mayo she's right up there with Mrs. Heil. When I was about to go into her class, Dad totally embarrassed me at the parent/teacher confrence. He told her rather loudly that if I was bad she had his permission to spank me! (in the 5th grade!) I wanted to kill Dad!
Also Mrs. Wepler in the library in elementary and gym, I always think of her in the gym at Holt with the giant red and white parachute and all the balls in it.
Mr. Riordan was great too. Mr Mifflin in 8th grade math. He knew that Heather and me passed notes to eachother all the time, but he thought it was funny and acted like he didn't know.
I'm sad Holt is gone, therefore the memory of me being the first Holt Elementary Student Council President plaque is gone now. The only thing first I did before you or Ronda. Somehow I managed that.

Beth Hollenbeck said...

I can't say I have the same opinion of Mr. Bufton. He seemed to always belittle me. And I probably just wrote that incorrectly according to him ;) I would say the one who stands out is Mr. Niles. He led me on my course of studying science and allied health, and I actually enjoyed every class. Why is it the teachers who were opposite of inspiring stand out in my head?? I could go on and on with those stories! I know you were at Holt Elementary, but Mrs. Dagley stands out as an incredible teacher. She was my 2nd grade teacher and was creative, inspiring and patient. I lost a tooth in her classroom, too :)! Wow. You sure brought back a lot of memories and made me appreciate my early education and the foundations I was given for learning. Thanks, Annie. I can always rely on your writings to make me think and be grateful. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Melanie Engen said...

I have slacked a little on my blog as well as on checking everyone else's. Looks like life is happy for you. Your kids are getting so big. I am impressed that Jacob is better on the hula hoop than me. It takes skill that I don't have any more. :) And yes, Lia Belle does look just like you. Lucky her! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I had no idea that Mrs. Wepler passed away. When and how? I HATED school!!! But I still had great teachers even though I was a ton of trouble. Mrs Webster was a stand out for me. Mrs. Wepler was awesome. I learned to love the library through her. Mr. Mifflin was pretty cool too. I remember I threw a shoe in his class and hit his coffee mug and it broke. It is funny that I hated school so much. Because now I am all about school. I was on the Board of Trustees for a charter school. I ran a school for pitty sake. I remember Mr. Smith the V.P at he High School and I told him to F-off. I was in an interview trying to hire a new V.P. and thought if Mr. Smith could see me now. Although I still would probably tell him the same thing. Cuz I really still HATE that man. But oh well. That won't be the only thing that keeps me out of the Celestial Kingdom. :) I do miss Kearney schools. Just the history there. AHHHHHH the memories.