Friday, April 23, 2010

Whose Throne is it anyway?




Do handicap parking laws transfer to bathrooms?


My instinct tells me no.


This is what happened. I was in line at the bathroom at Disneyland with my two girls. There were at least 10 people in front and behind me and all the stalls in this giant bathroom were occupied, the line out the door. I am patiently waiting just to get in the door so I can find a changing table to change Phoebe's diaper. When two ladies, both in the electic scooters that you can rent from Disney, roll up beside me. The first lady, who is very large yells out, "EXCUUUUSSSSEEE ME! Aren't there handicapped stalls in there? Move out of the way!" Her attitude does not come across as well in writing as it does in impersonating.

So, some of the ladies in front of me look around and no one really seems to know what to say as the ladies barge on in the bathroom.


My first instinct was to say, "Hey lady the back of the line is back there. There are no "fast Passes" to the bathroom." Of course, I didn't say anything.


Now if my four year old had been standing there doing the pee-pee dance, then I most certainly would have told them that although they are in a wheel chair, they are more capable of holding their pee than a four year old and that no way would I let them in front of me.


My whole issue was their attitude. I'm pretty sure that handicapped bathroom stalls are open game to every one and of course if a handicapped person is there and needs it, by all means, let them have it. But don't they need to wait in line like the rest of us? I know, I sound like a huge jerk. Let me tell you one more story and then ask who the jerk is.


My sister was at a movie theater bathroom. She walks in and although there is no line, all the stalls are busy but the handicapped. So she enters. While she is in there, a "lady" bangs on the stall door ordering her to get out! Can you believe it!? When she comes out flustered, as you can imagine, the lady says " This is for handicapped use! You shouldn't use it!" (or something to that affect) My sister apologizes and tells her that all the stalls were occupied and no one else was in line. The lady rolls her eyes at her. My sister then says, "Hey! I said I was sorry!" (good for you!)


I don't think she even needed to apologize. That lady should have apologized to her! I mean, really, who does that? Who bangs on a stall door and orders someone out?


In many public restrooms the changing table is hung in the handicapped stall. This is evidence that the stall is not ONLY for the handicapped.


As you can tell this incidence got me a little fired up. Handicapped parking laws do not cross over to the restrooms. In my opinion, handicapped people need to wait their turn in a long potty line. ( I know... I'm a big jerk!)


7 comments:

Alainarae said...

Well, you're right. Just because they are handicapped, doesn't give them a free pass to the front of the line, or to be rude to everyone!

And furthermore, I hope I don't offend anyone, but I get pretty annoyed at morbidly obese people at Wal- Mart who practically run me over while driving the electric chairs. They are so rude in the aisles and don't even watch where they are going! And there are TONS of them...I don't know if they are obese because they are handicapped, or visa versa, but still, stop running people over and acting like you own the place!!

Ronda said...

sounds like annie and her vigilante justice rides again!

Alainarae said...

Hey at least she didn't call her, "STUPID STUPID STUPID KIDS!!!!"

Eliza said...

I totally agree with you. So annoying! There aren't clear-cut rules about handicapped stalls in bathrooms, but I think that's because you have to be fair to everyone. If there are no handicapped people around, why should you let a stall sit empty just in case someone comes rolling 'round the bend?

That sounds really harsh but I didn't mean it to be. Also. I don't think they have these in Utah since they would always be full, but here in No. VA there are "Expectant Mothers" and "Mothers with Infants" parking spots. Actually in our grocery store parking lot they recently changed about half of the handicapped spots to "Special Accommodations" spots (I don't remember the exact phrase but it encompasses anyone who might need to park closer to the store, and they don't have the striped lines next to the spots like official handicapped ones do.)

I think of those parking spots as akin to having the changing tables in the handicapped stalls. There are a lot of people in the world who need a little extra space in the parking lot or in the bathroom--handicapped or injured people and moms with young kids alike. Sure, one big difference between handicapped people and moms is the issue of choice. Moms chose to be moms, while handicapped people did not choose their situation. But we were all babies once and we all owe a lot to our mothers. Why not help out a mother now and then?

That said, I hope I show as much courtesy to those with disabilities as I want shown to me and my kids.

Wow, this was a long comment, I guess I am passionate about this topic at this phase of my life!!

Cindy Feuz said...

I don't think you're being a jerk by wanting to be fair. Other people abuse their privaleges. People will take things as far as they can sometimes.
That's the difference I think certain people need to understand, it's not a "RIGHT" it's a "PRIVELAGE" (not sure if I spelled that right). anyway I don't think it's a right.
That's coming from me, the sister who was harrassed by the old lady with a cane in the bathroom... I'm not even sure she was handicapped, she was walking after all... for all she knows I could have been the handicapped one!

Kristi said...

You tell 'em Annie!

The Bluemel Family said...

I totally agree! Equal rights, not special rights.