Thursday, August 12, 2010

Perfect Summer Day

Our summer has felt so busy this year, and we haven't even traveled. Between swim lessons, tennis lessons, birthdays, swimming, fun outings to visit friends and family, playing in the back yard, family visits it's just been busy. I have found myself longing for boring days at home. I guess, that's what I remember as a kid. My mom didn't take us a lot of places. She usually was watching other children during the summer, so besides the six kids of her own, there were usually an extra 4-5 kids running around playing with us. At least that's what I remember. My mother probably remembers all the errands and things she had to do that I was unaware of as a kid. So, now I wish I could spend days on end at home with no place we have to go to. (Of course, if I got my wish after a few days I would probably be finding someplace to go.)

Yesterday, we planned on going to Lagoon in the afternoon. We were just waiting for Chad to wrap up some of his work so he could come too. I left my cell phone in my purse, in a closet and therefore I did not hear any of the ringing. I realized this arounmd 1:00 and decided to just leave it there. Thus, I forgot that it was Lia Belle's first Ballet Class of the year at 1:30. It dawned on me around 4 that she missed her class, but I decided that what they did instead was more important and I wouldn't have made her go. This is what they did, while we hung out waiting to go.
We did chores in the AM, making beds, putting away clothes and toys.
Lunch at noon.
PHoebe down for her nap.
Jacob and Lia head outsied to play in the sand box.
They decide to invite our 13 yr old neighbor to play, so they can play in her bigger better sandbox. She said yes and played with them for 2 1/2 hours. I sat in the back yard and watched them while I read a book. They lauged and played and not once did Jacob pick on her, not once did Lia Belle whine. They stopped for popscicle then went back.
We finally left for Lagoon around 4:30 and stayed until it closed at 10:00. The favorite ride was the bumper cars. Even Phoebe could do that by herself and the squeals of laughter coming from those smiling faces were priceless. It was worth the late bed time.

It was a perfect day.

So, if I don't answer the phone when you call, it's because I'm in the back yard trying to have another perfect, lazy summer day before my kids are grown and summer is over.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Love it. Our summer has been SO LAZY. And yet it has still flown by. I have loved (almost) every minute.

Alainarae said...

Yay! That sounds terrific! That sounds worth the late bedtime, to me, too!