My Grandmother passed away on November 30th. I returned home for her funeral on Dec. 4th. Here are some pictures from the weekend.We displayed some of her quilts around the church at The First United Methodist Church in Kearney, MO. This is just a small sampling of the hundreds of quilts she made over her life time. I know I have four quilts that I didn't bring, and probably each of my siblings have two or three or four that they didn't bring. Not to mention the countless friends she gave them too, the ones she made to auction off for fundraisers for her church or the ones she gave away to charity. She made beautiful quilts. It is for her that I changed my blog background to the Christmas Quilt theme.


This quilt was a joint effort. I did the embroidery blocks and my Grandma pieced it together then gave it back to me to finish. I had given her fabric that I wanted to use in this quilt. But she didn't use it. she didn't think it was bright enough. I was so upset because at the time I thought her choices were really tacky. But, it turns out, after a few years of maturing I came to see that her way was the better way. Much more colorful and bright.
I am grateful that she took to the time to give us gifts that last. A cookbook that is full of memories of her childhood and how she learned to cook. She liked to write and in her scrapbooks are poems and letters, and memories of her life. What a gift for us!!
She loved the color red. She loved to have her granddaughters keep their hair long. We thought it was cute that in her will, she said the granddaughter with the longest hair would receive the red Hallmark , "You are Special" plate that was used at birthday dinners.
I loved her so much and I know she loved me. She lived an exemplary life and was a strong woman.
She was a true homemaker. Lately, I have been thinking about her homemaking skills,because I myself am a homemaker. It is easy to get down on myself for being "ONLY" a homemaker. But when I read her words I am reminded of what an important job it is, and how happy it made her to make a home for those she loved.
"I have put together this little booklet and more as a keepsake than as a guide, some day when I have gone on to another world, I hope when you open it up and read a recipe, you will have a mental picture fo me in the kitchen (in my height of glory) cooking and stewing for those I love.
Cooking is an art anyone can become proficient at if they choose, but loving what you do is a God given gift. doing things out of necessity is worthy, but doing them willingly is an act from the heart.
So, go ahead and get all your utensils together, with the recipes, but don't forget to throw your whole heart into the job and create that atmosphere that will live in the hearts of your children and grandchildren.
When the clock of time quits ticking for Grandpa and I and we go on to live in the clouds, I hope he will hae a yard to mow and a garden to tend, and that I will have a kitchen for cooking, a quilt to make and a baby to rock. There are many great and glorious things in a lifetime, but it is simple things, like a bowl of mashed potatoes, that sometimes makes a difference."


3 comments:
Annie, that is a beautiful tribute! I see where you got some of the amazing qualities that make you the woman I admire so much. Never be down on yourself for being a homemaker...think about that term! You get to spend the bulk of your time making the most precious place on earth, a home!! What a blessing! You are incredible, never forget it!! Merry Christmas!!!
Annie, of course I want some Oreo Delight! I don't know when we can come up, but I will let you know! I like all the pictures you put up and your background.
I love the pictures too. It's been a rough weekend for me :( This was the weekend I had originally set aside to go spend with her. Now everything has been reminding me of her. But, God has been good and keeps reminding me that He is taking great care of them both.
Post a Comment