Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ski day!

On Monday Chad, Jacob and I played hooky and took off for the slopes. We thought it would be so easy since we live only about 20 minutes away from the resorts. But, we were wrong. My trusty mini-van is not so trusty on a canyon road that is covered in snow, slush and ice. The highway patrol wouldn't even let us enter Big Cottonwood canyon until we put chains on the tires. That was a little harder than we remembered. So we decided maybe skiing wasn't in the cards for us. But, Chad decided to try Little Cottonwood Canyon. Sure enough there were no officials to stop us so we headed up the mountain. The roads were fine until the last 1/4 mile before Alta Ski Resort. Chad about gave me a heart attack when he stopped the car in the middle of the lane on a curvy mountain road while he got out and tried to put the chain on the tire one more time! Well, he succeeded! Yeah!! We got our ski's and were on the lift at exactly 3:00. When the "ski for free" time starts.
That's me. I was there.
Chad and Jacob. Taking a break so I can get a picture.
At the beginning of our tale, the unsuccessful attempt to chain the tire.

We had time to make it down four runs. I used muscles in my legs I didn't know I had. We did pick a bad weather day. It was snowing, a little windy, and cold. Also, it was pretty cloudy which made it hard to see. Jacob did awesome! He did better than me. Then again, I didn't grow up in the mountains like he is doing.... That's my excuse for being a poor skiier. The truth is I'm clumsy and a wimp, so skiing is only fun for me if I stick to the easy runs. We are wishing we had picked today to ski. 63 degrees at our house, blue skies. It must be beautiful up in the mountains today.

Any time any of you want to take a ski trip, come stay with us!! We love to have visitors and maybe we'll even ski with you.

1 comment:

Cindy Feuz said...

you look really cold in that picture! At least you got to finally ski!