Sunday, September 01, 2013

Back to School, Ring the Bell

I don't think there has ever been a mommy as happy as I am that school started! I love my kids! I love summer! We had a fun filled, busy summer! The kids did swim team and tennis lessons. We had a birthday party bash for Lia Belle, a baby shower for my sister, and a baptism. Chad and I took a trip to Monteray, CA for our 13th Wedding anniversary, and we started the summer off in Jun with a family vacay to the Oregon Coast. In the middle of this we had my sister's family visiting from Omaha, a visit from my Sister who lives in Kentucky, my parents came from MO, my cousin from Wisconsin, and another sister dropped by for a short visit all the way from North Carolina. We took the kids to water parks, hikes in the mountains. My sister took the oldest two boating with her friends.  Everything was so fun! All our guests left on August 10th and we considered taking the kids to The Tetons for one final weekend fling, but I was too tired. I said goodbye to my family and then I promptly went to my room and didn't really come out for 2 days! I was, after all 32 weeks pregnant. Considering all this activity went on during a pregnancy I think I deserved a rest (and a medal!)  So, my body was craving rest and relaxation and a schedule! The start of school has brought me the order and rest my body needs right now. All the kids started a new school this year. Previously they had been attending a private school, but due to adding a fifth child to our family and a few other factors, we decided to switch them to the public school that is 2 minutes away. (the private school was a good 20 minute drive each way!) We have heard nothing but wonderful things from neighbors and friends about our new school. Understandably the kids have been a little worried about starting a new school and getting accustomed to a new environment. But the past tow weeks have shown me how adaptable and easy going my kids actually are. (whew!)
 Phoebe started Kindergarten. Half day, afternoon! She plays with Felicity all morning, I feed them lunch then take Phoebe school. Then I come  home and lay Felicity down for her nap, then I lay myself down for my nap and we have a glorious 3 HOUR nap, before it's time to go and gather all the kids from school. Maybe in a few months I can do something productive while Felicity sleeps, but for now, I am being productive by taking a nap and growing a baby.
 Phoebe was a little nervous but she did great! Every day, the Kindergarteners line up outside until their teacher opens the door at the exact time. The first day I joined all the other moms, by parking my car, walking her over to the line up and waiting with her. The second day I pulled up right on time and gave her a kiss, in the car and told her to go on in. I thought other parents would be doing that too, but no, I was the only one. I wondered for how long all the moms were going to keep parking their cars and walking the kids to the waiting area and waiting with them. Well, they did it every day this first week of school. Chad and I decided that all the kids in her class must be the first children in their family ;) I wonder how it will go next week? Poor Phoebe, has to face her nerves, overcome them herself and jump out of the car with out her mama waddling her to the door everyday... I hope she won't be in therapy for that when she's older. I also hope the other moms keep up the hovering over their kids so that the path where I pull up doesn't get crowded with traffic. :)


 Here are the big kids on their first day. They were a little nervous, but they held it together.
 Jacob, playing it soooo cool! He knows a lot of kids and has made a lot of friends.
Lia Belle was so happy that her friend from church is in her class. They both like their teachers and liking some of the things that they were previously nervous about. I am liking the two minute drive, the hot lunch option on days I can't pull a lunch together, and my uninterrupted nap time! :) (it is all about me after all ;) ) I love these kids so much. They are the joy of my life! It is so wonderful to watch my kids grow and learn. I am so proud of them!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love it Annie! You are a mom after my own heart. It IS all about the naptime! Can't mess with that! I can't wait to hear about/see #5.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like things are busy but good. Can't wait to hear about new baby!