YIKES! It's 12:30 am and I can't sleep. Not a big shocker, since I normally can't sleep. I've had a restless leg problem that went away last week much to my delight. However, it has returned the last three nights. I've talked to my Dr. about it and she has said, "Sorry, tough luck." Some pregnant friends of mine suggest a sleeping pill. The sleeping pill worked the first night beautifully. The second night I was still wide awake two hours after taking it. Then the next morning I was groggy and felt drugged for most of the day. I tried it a few more times with the same result so I decided it was better to just be tired from restless legs, than tired from drugs. Anywhoo... it's back. Maybe the root of the problem is mental. I know that I am so close to the end of this pregnancy and I am very impatient for the ordeal to be over. Yes, ordeal. I am not one of those women that bask in the joy of pregnancy. I can handle it pretty well until the last 8 weeks. I am now in the last 2 - 3 weeks and I am not a happy camper. I admit that all in all pregnancy is an amazing miracle. These points often are overlooked due to the physical aches and pains. I could go on about these aches and pains, but I'll spare you all the details.
I will admit that for me, the best parts of pregnancy are 1) the positive sign on the pregnancy test. That's fun, knowing that you will have a new member of the family, a lovely new baby. Of course, at this time you are fee to think positive thoughts because you're not as huge as a house yet, no aches and pains yet, and for me at least, no nausea. 2) the first time the baby moves and all the other times too. I love to feel the baby move. It reminds me that there is a real baby in there. Helps me to forget the aches and pains for a minute and focus on the "reason". 3) I think the VERY best part of pregnancy is delivery! You've made it! Nothing feels better than holding that new baby, seeing what you have co-created. Feeling the rush of love and emotion as you look into your babie's eyes.
I have a hard time keeping these good points in perspective, especially the last 8 weeks.
Of course, it feels so good to have that little baby on the OUTSIDE! Then you can go home and sleep on your stomach again, you can bend over again. You can walk normally. You can fit into your shoes!
I know, taking care of a new born is a whole other set of challenges. Yet, in my opinion, I think infants are soo much easier than toddlers and pre-schoolers.... that's another topic for another day.
7 comments:
I can feel your pain--almost literally! I am larger now at 26 weeks than I was at 40 with my last child. If I knew you were up too, we could have instant messaged last night. I have restless leg syndrome regularly when I am not pregnant and so does my sister. One thing that helps (not fixes) is to stretch really well (ha ha)at night and in the morning. Hang in there. I am so excited that you are so close. Please keep us posted!
I so feel your pain!! I hate the last weeks of pregnancy! Taking care of a newborn definitely has challenges, but at least you can take a break from them once in a while! Not so when they are taking over your insides! I pray these last few weeks go quickly for you!
Kim
Thanks for the advise. I'll try it. I'm lucky that I onlyt have the restless legs when I am pregnant. I hope you are doing well.
Annie
I have the restless thing too, but only when I am pregnant. I used to have to elevate my legs a little bit at night. Many times I slept on the couch because it seemed to help. I am afraid to get pregnant again, and go through all that. I am so happy that you are almost done.
Almost there Annie! Do you normally go to term? It sounds like you deserve this baby a bit earlier than the full 40 weeks! I can sure empathize. Mine get a week earlier each time, for which I am grateful, because it seems that the end of the pregnancy gets more and more uncomfortable each time.
Amen, Sister! I'm jealous that you get to have your baby before I have mine, but I suppose a few extra days aren't much to complain about. I must have been having "sympathy RSS" last night. I haven't had it for quite a while, but last night my legs were crazy! Kim told me about the iron deficiency theory and, sure enough, I forgot to take my vitamin yesterday. I already took an iron supplement today and I haven't had any kind of symptoms. If you need to ditch your kids or need someone to clean the kitchen or something, please call me. Good luck and we'll ALL pray that our babies come early :-)
I totally understand! I am in my last few weeks and though I am not ready for a baby yet, I want her to come because I want my body and energy back.
Post a Comment