Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jesus Loves the LIttle Children

I had a very funny conversation with Jacob the other day that I thought you all might enjoy. I found out the reason for this conversation was a song that Jacob learned at his pre-school. The song goes like this:
Jesus Loves the LIttle Children
All the Children of the world
Red and Yellow, Black and White,
They are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world!

So, on MOnday as we were starting Family Home Evening Jacob interrupts to say, "Mom! Mom! Did you know there are black people?!"
I was a little puzzled by this statement, wondering where it came from. (I had not yet discovered that he learned this song.) So I said, "Yes, I did know there are black people." Then he said, "And Yellow and red people too!" That comment triggered my memory to when I learned this song as a little kid at my Grandma's vacation Bible school. So I asked him if he had learned this song at Pre-school, which of course he had. So, we sang the song for Family Home Evening and moved on with the lesson.
Skip to Tuesday afternoon. I was watching ELLEN and Randy Jackson was the show. Jacob looks at him and says, "Do all Black that are boys wear earrings in their ears?" I said, "No, not all of them. Some white men wear them too. But in our family boys don't wear earrings in their ears." Then Jacob said, "WHITE PEOPLE! There aren't any white people!" and he laughed and giggled. I choked down my big guffaw laugh and said, "Jacob honey, you are a white person." Then he held out his arm in awe, looked at his skin and said, "I'm not white!" then he giggled and laughed. I don't think he believed me that he was white. Of course in his little mind, white is a crayon color and we certainly don't look quite that white.

It was so funny and fascinating! He has never noticed differences in the color of skin among people. We've never talked about it or pointed it out to him in any way, but this little song got him thinking. By the way, he also mentioned that he thinks it would be funny to see a "Yellow" person. I think it would be interesting to see a truly yellow person. Oprah had a blue man on her show a few weeks ago. I wish I had saved it on the dvr to show Jacob, he would think that was fascinating.

2 comments:

Tillotson Family said...

Ok. That is histerical! I was giggling through the whole thing. He is so funny. "I'm not white!" When Nate started school here and about 40% of the students were of another race he started referring to everyone as "light-skinned" or "dark-skinned". I should have taught him that song. It's funny how they just notice one day. Now he never makes the distinction because it's just normal.

Melanie Engen said...

That is so cute. I love the things that children say.