Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Garden GREW!

This year I tried my hand at a small garden. I guess I was remembering my grandpa's wonderful, beautiful, yummy garden that he used to always grow. Maybe some day I'll have a garden as nice and big as his, probably when my kids are grown.

I planted Green Beans, Tomatoes, Squash and zucchini. Well, my results are in direct proportion to the amount of time and effort I spent tending to my garden. So far I have picked ONE green bean, three tomatoes, ONE small yellow squash and ZERO zucchinni. I'm sad about the zucchini because I have recently been eating a lot of it and I wanted a whole peck of them. So, part of my problem was I didn't plant my garden until the middle of June and I planted everything from seed except the tomatoes. I have learned from this experience and I am gearing up for next summer. Chad is in the process of builing me a garden spot on the side of our house. He brought in rock last weekend to build the border and hopefully while I'm in Kearney next weekend he will bring in the dirt and fill it up. I'm really excited to have nice soil to plant in. I'll plant a few flowering bushes next to the house and my vegetables closer to the border. I'm learning the value of planning ahead in my maturing age.

I do have some neighbors who planted enough tomatoes to feed the whole town, so I've been picking their tomatoes since mine don't want to turn red. I actually made some home made tomato soup last week with their tomatoes and some home made bread. It was a scrumptious meal. My kids even liked it.


5 comments:

Summer Mike and Paxton said...

Annie I am so excited to hear from you! Life in Rexburg is funny. We are going to the Student ward and I was looking at the R.S. Role to find that there are some girls here that were born in 1989! That's crazy! I'm so old, but I'm not telling people. Mike and I are offically the average of our ages. 25 and a half. Ha! We'll see how long that lasts. Don't feel bad about your garden. My mom is a master gardener and had a bum year with the cold weather. Keep it up! Next year will be great!

Unknown said...

That's a cute tiny little garden between the trees! How did your tomato soup turn out? That sounds good. Have fun in Kearney!

The Egg Basket said...

Annibelle, NO!!! Say it isn't so. You're... (gulp)... planning ahead?

Kacey said...

Annie!!! It was so fun to see your comment on my blog and then discover your blog. Your kids are DARLING! It was so great to catch up on you guys. Tell Chad hello! I was just looking at some old pictures from our 'singles ward days' and thought about you guys! Take care.

The Egg Basket said...

This time next Thurs, Annibelle... this time next THURS! Tee hee hee (that's my weak attempt at cyber giddiness).