O.k. I don't often sound off on my political opinions in public. But I want to vent because I'm a little upset at the unfairness. So, here in Portland, the Mayor has been caught in a sex scandal. The scandal was he was caught having, or found out that he had, sex with a 17 year old boy. As far as I know (which isn't much, but enough to be upset) is that he hasn't been fired or thrown in jail, or been put on the sex offenders list for having sex with a minor. I have heard cases like this happening between teachers and students. A teacher would be fired, then thrown in jail. But a Mayor, just has to suffer through public outcry for a while then go back to work?! This guy is a slimeball and should be fired. He has broken the law, besides being a scum bag.
And what is the deal with the guys that Obama has appointed to be in charge of the IRS? I believe it is something like three of these guys haven't paid their own taxes in like 5 years! (I probably have those facts wrong, but I know at least the IRS top chairman is in this boat) That just doesn't make sense to me. Of course, I'm not an Ivy League alumni, so I guess I just don't understand how qualified a crook could be for the job. Of course, Biden should be totally opposed to these guys because if you don't ante up and pay your taxes you are not patriotic! (That's what he said during the campaign ) Sorry, to all you Obama lovers, but so far it looks to me that he is pulling together a team of crooks, maybe he owes them favors or something. (Oops! I better whisper. I forgot we're not supposed to say anything bad about Obama, he is going to save the world and we just need to trust him and not question anything about his decisions.)
I'm just upset that the elected leaders seem to think they are above the law, and apparently they are right because they get away with it. I'm sure we could point out hundreds of cases where this is the case. Why can't there be some people who will just stand up , be honest, do what is right, what is in the best interest of their constituents instead of what will be better for their carreers?
10 comments:
I agree! I also don't like to voice a public opinion on politics, but I don't think this is the kind of "change" that will be good for our country!
Round of aplause, standing ovation, and a big fat AMEN SISTER! I am so frusterated with it as well. I cannot figure out why there is not an outcry of public outrage. Does no one else care? Do you think that it is not possible for good moral people to make it in the slums of the political scene? Wish I had some answers.
boy annie, vigilante justice is taking on the big guns. I am scared to have my name associated with yours electronically. If you keep talking like this you are going to be on some list and I am going to go down with you.
paranoid much Ronda?
That's crazy about the Mayor!! Yeah I don't get that. YOu should start a petition against him. You could do it.
But I don't think there is much you can do about Obama.
Psh, Cindy, that is what people want you to believe. They want us to think we can't do anything about Obama. We can make a difference. It's just hard, and very frustrating. I can't believe about your Mayor, that is ridiculous!!!!! This is definitely a time when you should stand up and write someone a letter or call someone. Have you read Obama's economic stimulus plan? THAT is ridiculous as well. Congressman Paul Ryan from Wisconsin for president, 2012!!!
Don't you ever wish we could just scrap the whole system and start from scratch? Are there any politicians who aren't working an angle? As for the mayor...um, I disagree. I definitely agree that there are way too many sex scandals playing out in the media right now, but having lived through the real version of scandals involving people close to me, I've learned that people make mistakes and most 17 year olds are not being taken advantage of, and in fact know that they can totally ruin someone's career with their own advances. Think back to high school and how many girls thought it was cool to land a college guy? There are lots of guys labeled as sex offenders for the rest of their lives that shouldn't be. If the kid really was 17, and it really was consensual, (and this was years ago), the guy seems to be doing a good job as mayor so far and basically ran unopposed, not to mention that an impeachment and reelection would cost millions, I think he should keep his job and show people that making one mistake doesn't have to ruin the rest of your life, and you can be a good person anyway. Okay, I went on a little too much-sorry!
Thanks for all your comments. and Becky thanks for the insight on the Mayor scandal. I honestly hadn't heard much about the entire thing because I've only been able catch snippets of it on the news. I do agree also, that people do deserve second chances, and can still be good people who have made mistakes. However, if he was just a regular guy, and found out to have had sex with a minor, and if charges are pressed, he would be labeled a sex offender. Shouldn't the same rules apply to the Mayor as to John Doe? Now, Like I said, I don't know all the details. But wouldn't it be nice if we could have elected officials who have no scandals,and who have values and morals for real, not just during elections?
I don't think he should get away with it, because he is Mayor and an example, and then other so-called offenders will think, well he got away with it so can I. Then every one thinks they get more than 2nd chances, 3rd, 4th. Where is the line drawn?
Yeah people make mistakes. But that's just stupid especially if you're in the public eye.
I totally agree that if the guy broke the law and actually had an affair with a minor he should be prosecuted as a regular person would. However, from my understanding it was only a kiss when he was still 17. My bigger issue with it is that he lied. I am so tired of dishonesty everywhere! Haven't people figured out that if they would just tell the truth, life would go so much better? But our judicial system is designed to help you if you cover up, not tell the truth. I have a family member who served a couple years because of an affair with a minor. Talk about life ruining! He told the truth and their life was turned upside down, only to find out about a year ago that if he had plead not guilty (and still been sentenced) the case would have been thrown out on a technicality. Talk about discouraging when you are trying to put a life back together with all the restrictions that come with that label. Anyway, while I hate the fact that we have no honest politicians, I do understand why they lie.
Post a Comment