I just realized that I haven't journaled a typical day in a while, if ever. This will be boring to most, but perhaps in 10 years, when I'm nostalgic for the times when the kids were small, I will find this enjoyable.
I guess my day started at 4:30 am when Felicity woke up. She typically wakes up between 4 and 6. I brought her into my room. Nursed her, fell asleep until 5, when my arm started hurting so I put her back in her own bed. Then I went back to sleep until 7am.
The alarm rears its ugly head. It is so dark and cold outside the last thing I want to do is get out of bed...wait , the last thing I want to do is have the kids miss their ride then I have to drive them 20 minutes in the cold and snow to school. So, I drag myself out of bed, begging Chad to wake up and help me get the kids ready for school. Jacob gets his wake up call first. He has a queen size bed so I crawl into bed beside him for a few minutes of snuggling before I turn on the harsh lights and start being serious about waking up. Then Lia Belle, she is usually better at waking up, but not much. Once Jacob is up he is pretty fast at dressing, Lia Belle wakes up faster but takes her sweet time getting dressed. I try to tell Lia Belle to be quiet and let Phoebe sleep. Today Phoebe slept until 8, so that was good.
7:30, I'm on my way to the kitchen to fix breakfast and lunch. Around 7:40 I'm not hearing any noise from upstairs. I resist the urge to yell up the stairs, telling myself they will never learn unless I let the run out the doors in jammies, or go to school with no breakfast.. but that makes me sad to send them off hungry, so I yell up the stairs. Thankfully, Chad answers me back that they are almost ready to come down. Jacob is first down the stairs. He is sullen and a little grumpy in the mornings. Lia Belle comes down happier. I gather Lia Belle's snow clothes, her class is going to play in the snow for recess. I try to get them to eat their eggs and toast and to drink some water.
8:00 their ride is late. But it snowed most of the night and is still snowing. I'm just glad that Deborah is driving in Yukon instead of me in my Minivan. 8:05, Felicity wakes up... darn.. I guess I can't go back to bed....8:10 Deborah pulls up, I kiss the kids goodbye and go back to the kitchen for round 2 of breakfast. Oatmeal and toast for me and felicity. 8:15, Phoebe comes down stairs wearing a pink tutu with black polkadots, and orange shirt with a cup cake on the front, with gray sleeves with various colors of polkadots on them, and green leggins. She thinks she looks fabulous and so do I! for a snowy day at home. Phoebe wants eggs and Oatmeal... so I cook up more eggs.
8:30, I ask Phoebe to eat quietly while I watch a 25 minute web video by Carol Tuttle so I can learn how to dress for my energy type. Pretty good stuff, although Chad can hear it in his office and starts making fun of me, trying to tell me he should be my fashion mentor. His advice? Just wear what you feel good in. Thanks Chad... that is really helpful in navigating the fashion industry and helps me feel confident in my choices.... I told him to go back to work, close the door and pretend he is in an office outside of our home. Somedays you just need some space from your husband :)
9:00 clean up breakfast, start the dishwasher, wipe down counters, wipe down baby. Oops, poopy diaper. Up to change baby's clothes. She HATE diaper changes!! She kicks and cries and squirms and twists and turns! I finally get the poopy one off without dumping the poop all over the floor. I decided getting her dressed wasn't worth the effort.. she's going down for a nap in a few hours anyway. So zip those cute monkey, feet pajamas back off and send her to the toy room to play with Phoebe.
Phoebe has been playing with the Loving Family Doll house, the little people doll house, and the my little pony house for a few days and Felicity is having fun being with Phoebe. Phoebe is so patient with Felicity. Flicka likes to mess up the house that Pheebs has just gone to great pains to put just right. But Phoebe lets her play and gives her hugs. While they play I decide to take a shower and wash my hair since its been a couple of days. The shower is heavenly. I even styled my hair and put on make up and real clothes. But by then I'm pooped!
10:00 I try to put Felicity down for her nap so I can take one too, no such luck. She's not quite ready.
Now here is where I admit my biggest parenting slacker temptation. I am TIRED! THe sun hasn't shone for a week! It is so cold outside that I just want to hybernate. No motivation to be productive at ALL. So I say, "Phoebe... I know you are only 4 years old, but you are so sweet with your sister and you know to not let her put things in her mouth... so can you play in here with her while I am in my room?" Phoebe of course says yes, if I turn on the Disney Channel. So I go back to my room. Feeling guilty about just diving for my bed I at least read a chapter in my Scriptures first and I even say a prayer, asking for help to be a better mom. I think my answer on how to be a better mom was to get some sleep because I instantly became very drowsy and could not keep them open an other second. :)
So, I crawled under the covers and shut my eyes... just for a minute... I can hear the girls if they cry...
11:15... Chad wakes me up with a kiss. I ask him to peek in on the girls playing while I get used to opening my eyes.
11:30 time for lunch. I fix Phoebe left over beans and rice, baby food for Felicity. Then I take a few minutes to go over my piano songs.
11:50, Felicity is down for the count. I have 2 1/2 - 3 hours before she awakes. Chad is working from home so I can leave her asleep while I do my things. I pick up Phoebe's cousin and take the girls to pre-school.
12:30 I arrive at my Piano class. My new years resolution is to learn something I've always wanted to learn. So the kids piano teacher is teaching me too. It's been fun and I hope I can stick with it as long as I want to kids to.
1:15, I arrive at the neighborhood elementary school. My kids are currently in a private school 20 minute away and I am ready to give this school another look. We know more people in our community now and the kids will know a lot of kids there as well. The principal is wonderful and overall I was pretty impressed with the school and the atmosphere there. The principal is happy and cheerful and the school reflects her.
2:15 Check in with Chad, baby is still sleeping, woo-hoo! So I'm off to the chiropractor. My neck, shoulder, arm all the way down to my hand has been aching and hurting for weeks! The Chiropractor is helping. I hope it will go away for good soon.
2:40 stop in at Whole Foods for a few supplies.
3:15 pick up Phoebe and Kate from pre-school, take Kate home.
3:40 arrive at home. Felicity sees me and freaks out. She wants some milk!!!
3:45 Jacob and Lia Belle arrive home and the bossing around begins. Sit down, do you homework, practice piano, change your clothes...this is the most draining hour of the day.
5:00 I take Jacob over to the church for scouts. Chad stays home with the girls. They are instructed to have shoes on and homework done by the time I get home because we HAVE to go to Costco. I am Jacob's new Den Leader and this is my first time at Den Meeting. Chad's brother Brian is the Pack Leader so I am having a little scout training tonight to see if I can figure this out. I am really excited to be involved with Jacob's scouting.
6:10 home from scouts, pack girls in car, Chad is taking Jacob to a Jazz Basketball game tonight with his JR. Jazz Basketball team.
6:30, gas at costco and into the store. It is the quietest I've ever seen it! My pantry is bare after weeks of cold and days of feeling snowed in I finally was able to leave the house, I thought others would be the same way. Apparently the coupons start tomorrow and they are expecting a crowd. Whew! Glad I missed the coupon rush :)
7:30 Dinner is Pizza and a berry smoothie... not healthy but cheap and convenient..
8:00 Finally on our way home.The girls help me carry things inside, then they are instructed to put on jammies and brush teeth while I put things away. First, Felicity is put to bed. She is tired and dives out of my arms before I can say "twinkle, twinkle.."
9:00 Lia Belle has suprised me by straightening up her bathroom... nice, but I really wanted her asleep. I settle in to tuck them in. they want a story so I tell them about how Daddy and I met and fell in love. Then Phoebe some how wonders about step mothers and starts to cry at the idea that I might die and leave her with a step mother... sheesh! hugs, hugs.. kisses.. I'm not going to die.. I'll be a gray old grandma... which sends her into more tears "I don't want you to get old and be a grandma!!" They are so worried about that...weird.
9:45 9:45!!! I FINALLY LEAVE THEIR ROOM! and come down stairs and plop myself in front of this computer.
9:48 Lia Belle comes down to get a drink of water.
9:50 Lia Belle comes back to make sure I locked all the doors.
9:53 Lia Belle comes back to make sure Daddy gives her a kiss when he gets home.
10:25 Chad and Jacob come home and I am typing this.
Wow! I liked writing this, it helped me see what a nice day this was. Most Wednesdays are a lot more productive, with work outs on the tread climber instead of naps, and laundry being done. I hope the sun will come out to give me a little pizazz in my step. So, If anyone has ever been interested in a snapshot of my life, well there you have it. Maybe next time I'll pick a more productive day. But, these relaxing days are so nice too.
Good night... now it's my turn to sit down and watch a little news before I hit the pillow.
2 comments:
Wow Annie, no wonder you took a nap! That made me tired just reading that! And now I'm reconsidering watching your kids if you go to hawaii. Just kidding. That's a good idea to write that down. Maybe I should do that.
I love this. Totally brought tears to my eyes as I thought about how in a few years I will be missing these mundane little things as I tackle new challenges of teenagers or empty nesting. And you are an amazing mom!!!
Post a Comment